A PATRIOTIC SAUSAGE FOR THE 4TH OF JULY!NEWS
Happy Independence Day to all! What better way to celebrate that with the best Hot Italian Sausage recipe out there?! Add some potato slaw for the most patriotic meal you’ve seen, and then rally up the crew to celebrate the 4th in style 🇺🇸
Sweet Italian Sausage with Warm Potato Slaw
6 strips of bacon, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded & sliced
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1 ¼ lb mini red potatoes, sliced
2 c water
1 T beef base
3 T red wine vinegar
10 oz red cabbage, sliced
1 package Uncle Charley’s Sweet Italian Sausage
Salt & pepper
5 thick sausage rolls, sliced
Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Heat half of the grill, then cover and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grates.
2. Add the bacon to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Place over direct heat and cook, tossing occasionally, until nearly cooked through but not quite crisp. Add bell pepper, onion, and potatoes, and stir to coat. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Pour in water and beef base and bring to a gentle boil. Add red wine vinegar and red cabbage. Top with sausages. The sausages should be slightly submerged in the liquid; if not, add more water. Return to a boil.
3. Slide the tray to the cool side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook with all vents open, turning sausages halfway through, about 20 minutes.
4. Use tongs to transfer the sausages from the tray to the hot side of the grill, placing them directly on the grate. Grill, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes. Toss and season the potato slaw with salt and pepper, to taste. Return the sausages to the tray and toast the buns, if desired.
5. Serve the Sweet Italian Sausages in the buns, with the potato slaw piled on. Top with parsley and mustard. We suggest pairing it with an icy cold Iron City or a chilled chardonnay. 😋
Fun for the Family
1. Set up a white sheet and projector in the backyard to stream some Patriotic films. Our top picks are Top Gun, National Treasure (gotta please the kids, too), Airforce One, and Independence Day.
2. Play some Fourth of July-themed bingo using these boards.
3. Tie-dye with red and blue to make some patriotic shirts and bandanas.
4. Break out the backyard games and play some cornhole, cricket, or badminton.
5. Host a mini-pie eating contest using strawberry and blueberry pies topped with whipped cream to keep with the patriotic theme.
5. Jam to this all-American playlist while the crew eats and parties.
We hope you enjoy this tasty, all-American, Fourth of July!
Comments are closed.