National Sandwich Day is arguably one of the most underrated holidays – after all, who doesn’t love two (or more) slices of bread slapped together with some tasty fillings?! In order to prepare for one of the best days of the year, we put together some wildly good sandwiches featuring your favorite Uncle Charley’s Sausages.
Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Burgers
A burger made of sausage, and including some vegetables so you can say it’s healthy? Yep, we found it.
- ½ package of Uncle Charley’s Pork Sausage, crumbled
- ½ lb thinly sliced pancetta
- Kosher salt
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- ½ t allspice
- ¼ t ground cloves
- 2 large bunches of broccoli rabe, large stems trimmed
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ t crushed red pepper
- 6oz Fontina cheese, slice into 6 pieces
- 6 kaiser rolls, lightly toasted
- Lay the pancetta on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Finely mince.
- Combine the crumbled sausage with the pancetta in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the salt with cinnamon, allspice, and ground cloves. Sprinkle over the meat and mix thoroughly with your hands. Pat the meat into 6 burgers and refrigerate.
- Cook broccoli rabe until just tender and coarsely chop. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat, add broccoli rabe, and cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season your burgers with pepper and grill until just cooked through, around 5 minutes on each side. Melt the Fontina on the burgers about a minute before they are done.
- Lay the broccoli rabe on the bottom buns, then set the burgers on top. Serve right away.
Italian Sausage, Egg, and Fontina Breakfast Sandwiches
Italian sausage for breakfast? Why not? We love it!
- One pack of Uncle Charley’s Italian Sausages, crumbled and formed into 6 patties
- 6 large eggs
- Fontina cheese, cut into 6 slices
- Olive oil
- Thickly sliced Italian bread
- Lightly oil a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warmed, place patties into hot skillet and cook through, around 6 minutes on each side. At the last minute, melt the fontina cheese onto the burger.
- Set patties aside and fry all 6 eggs, placing them on top of each patty. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully toast the Italian bread on both sides in the same skillet. Build each sandwich with the bread and enjoy the melty cheese and dripping egg yolks! Feel free to freeze patties for a later breakfast, as well.
Sausage and Caprese Sandwiches
We would be remiss to not include a slider sandwich in this line-up! These are perfect for when you have guests over or need things to snack on while watching football.
- 1 package Uncle Charley’s Homestyle Pork Meatballs
- 1-14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 package fresh mozzarella
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- Small buns
- Take meatballs and carefully flatten them into a patty shape using hands. Place into skillet with tomato sauce over medium heat and cook through, should take about 15 minutes.
- While cooking the meatballs, slice the mozzarella into as many slices as meatballs. Roughly chop basil and toast the buns.
- When the meatballs have cooked through, lift them from the tomato sauce and place on buns. Top with mozzarella, basil, and a bit of the tomato sauce from the pan and serve.
Sausage Stromboli Sandwiches
This quick and tasty meal is perfect for lunch or dinner, and packs in some fresh veggies along with the savory flavors of Uncle Charley’s Italian Sausages and cheeses.
- ½ package Uncle Charley’s Italian Sausage, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- French bread
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bread, cutting the loaf into a v-shape. Scoop out some of the bread to create extra room for filling.
- Cook sausage until browned, then remove the meat but not the drippings.
- Add garlic, onion, pepper, and spinach, sautéing until veggies are softened and spinach has broken up.
- Add the sausage back into the pan to combine and reheat.
- Spoon onto bread, topping with parmesan and slices of provolone.
- Cover with foil and bake in oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Slice and serve.
Garlic Butter Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Another perfect football game night sandwich that will please the whole family! Plus, they’re super easy to make. Win-win!
- ½ c unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ c chopped basil
- ¼ c finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 package Uncle Charley’s Italian Sausage, crumbled
- 1-14 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ c red wine
- Salt to taste
- 4 sandwich buns
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 8 slices provolone
- Chopped red onion
- Combine butter, ¼ c basil, ¼ c parsley, and garlic paste until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Brown your sausage in a large pan, then add tomato sauce and red wine. Simmer for about 15 minutes over medium heat, then remove from heat and add 1 T basil and salt.
- When ready to serve, spread butter over the inside and tops of buns. Toast in oven until slightly browned and melty. Place 1 slice of mozzarella, 2 slices provolone, and sausage mixture into each bun.
- Place under broiler until cheese starts to bubble, then remove and top with chopped onions and remaining basil.