BRING ON THE BARBECUE: NATIONAL BARBECUE MONTHNEWS
Summer means grilling, and grilling means barbecue. Sure, you could use your standby from the grocery store, but what if you *drumroll* made your own? No, really – it isn’t as hard as you’d think! We’ll break it down for you so you can top your favorite Uncle Charley’s Sausages with it any day of the year, not just during National Barbecue Month! Then we’ll show you how to use it, plus share a recipe for homemade mac and cheese, because what barbecue is complete without that creamy, cheesy side?!
Uncle Charley’s Favorite Barbecue Sauce
2 c ketchup
1 c water
½ c apple cider vinegar
5 T dark brown sugar
5 T sugar
½ T black pepper
½ T onion powder
½ T ground mustard
1 T lemon juice
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1. Mix ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, then let simmer for 1.5 hours,
uncovered. Keep in a secure container in the refrigerator when not in use.
1-2-3 Barbecue Sausage
1 package Uncle Charley’s Pork Sausage, sliced into thick medallions
2 c Uncle Charley’s Favorite Barbecue Sauce
½ c packed brown sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lay sausage in a greased baking dish, covering with barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and
garlic. Toss to fully coat and mix.
3. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, stirring once partway through
Mac and Cheese
1 lb elbow macaroni
½ yellow onion, chopped
½ + ¼ c butter, separated
4 T flour
1 T mustard powder
2 c half and half
4 oz cream cheese
3 c cheddar
1.5 c gouda
1 c panko bread crumbs
1. Cook pasta according to packaging. Meanwhile, sauté onions with a dab of butter in a
large skillet over medium heat until slightly browned.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Add remainder of ½ c butter to skillet, and once melted add flour and whisk together to
create a roux. Then, whisk in mustard powder.
4. Carefully pour in half and half while still whisking. Reduce the heat and add cream
cheese, continuing to whisk until smooth.
5. Whisk in cheddar and gouda cheese, continuing to stir until smooth.
6. Gently stir in pasta.
7. In a separate bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs, ¼ c butter, and the last bits of
shredded cheese. Sprinkle over top of mixture in skillet.
8. Place skillet in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Serve
while still hot!
We hope you enjoy this lineup of homemade barbecue favorites! Be sure to snap some photos of
the crew enjoying it and send them in, and let us know what you think!
We hope mom (and everyone else!) loves this meal – we know we do in our house! Happy
mother’s day to all the moms out there – you amaze us every day and hope you enjoy celebrating
Comments are closed.