- Serving Size:20
- Total Time:1
- Difficulty:In-Home Cook
- 1 packageUncle Charley's Hot or Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Green pepper, diced
- 1Red pepper, diced
- 1/2Yellow onion, diced
- 1 bagShredded cabbage
- 2 tbspOlive Oil
- 1 packageEgg roll wrappers
- Canola oil
- Olive Oil
Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cupTomato sauce
- 2 tspTomato paste
- 1/2 tspDried Basil
- 1/2 tspcrushed red pepper
- 1/4 tspGarlic salt
- 1 tspPaprika
- 1 tspWorcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
For egg rolls:
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and coat bottom of pan.
- If using bulk sausage, add all of sausage to pan. If using links, remove meat from casings and add to pan. Cook until all of sausage is cooked through.
- Add onions to sausage and continue to cook over low-medium heat until onions begin to soften. Add diced peppers and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Once all veggies have been cooked, add half of shredded cabbage to pan and continue cooking until cabbage begins to wilt and is easily combined with sausage and peppers. Remove skillet from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Set up egg roll wrapping station by placing a small bowl of water next to where you plan to wrap the egg rolls. Once sausage mixture has cooled, take one egg roll wrapper and position wrapper so it looks like a diamond. Place one tablespoon of sausage mixture in the middle.
- To fold egg rolls: Dip finger in water and wet sides furthest away from you (sides that form top corner). Take corner closest to you and wrap it over sausage mixture, making sure to tuck corner in tightly, without tearing. Then, take corners on either side and bring them to center, folding them to look like an envelope. Take entire bundle and roll towards farthest corner until sealed. Continue to do this until all of mixture has been used.
- To bake egg rolls, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and place egg rolls seam side down. Brush top of each egg roll with olive oil. Bake in oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- To fry egg rolls, place enough canola oil in deep skillet so that at least half of egg roll will be submerged. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Carefully place egg rolls seam side down in oil. Lightly turn until browned.
- Serve with regular or spicy marinara (recipe below) and enjoy!
For spicy marinara sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and bring to boil. Allow to cool slightly before serving with egg rolls.
You can find egg roll wrappers in the produce section of the grocery store.