TASTY CINCO DE MAYO RECIPESNEWS
Cinco de Mayo is one of the most well-known Mexican holidays in the United States as many join the local festivities that commemorate the victory of the Mexican army over the French forces of Napoleon III in 1862. We’re bringing two recipes that are spins on popular Mexican fares: quesadillas and queso fundido.
Fajita Quesadilla – Charley’s Style
These half quesadillas make a perfect snack and packed full of flavor with fajita fillings. Follow the steps make this simple meal for your festivities.
- 1 ½ tsp of olive oil
- 4 red and green bell peppers sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 packet of fajita seasoning
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 chopped tomato
- 14 oz of smoked sausage cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- ¼ cup of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, and fajita seasoning, cooking until the peppers are soft for about 20 minutes
- Add in the garlic, tomato, and sausage and cook for 2 minutes
- Spread the sausage mixture on half of the tortilla. Add cheese on top and fold the bottom over on top
- Lightly oil a skillet and heat on medium. Add the quesadillas two at a time to cook, flipping once to brown on both sides and melt the cheese. Cook about two minutes per side
- Slice the finished quesadillas into wedges and serve with the sour cream, cilantro, salsa and limes
These quesadillas go perfectly with chips and dips like the queso fundido recipe we have to share next!
You’ve probably had nachos, or tortilla chips with queso, but one of the best ways to enjoy your chips is with a melted cheese or queso fundido. Our recipe combines chorizo and a cheese blend that will have you coming back for more.
- 8 oz of chorizo sausage with removed casing
- I medium onion finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers finely chopped
- 8 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 oz of shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Tortillas chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium skillet cook the chorizo on medium heat until completely browned and drain the fat, conserving 1 tbsp to use as oil later
- Heat the chorizo grease in a skillet and add the onion and jalapeños on medium heat until they are softened
- Turn off the heat and mix the chorizo into the onion and jalapeño mixture
- Mix the three types of cheese together
- In an 8-inch cast iron skillet, add ¼ of the shredded cheese on the bottom to form a layer and add 1/3 of the sausage mixture on top. Repeat this process until all the ingredients have been added with a layer of cheese on top
- Place the skillet into the oven to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly
- Top with cilantro and eat with your favorite tortilla chips
The next time you are looking for a dip for your tortillas chips, this delicious queso fundido recipe is an easy option to whip up!
Comments are closed.